Make smarter use of the ad tags in ClassiPress with the The ACF :: Smart Tags plugin. The plugin will let you convert all multiple choice fields like drop-down, checkbox and radio into ad tags, so you only have relevant ad tags that you yourself have created in the form of field values. Also turning the right kind of fields into tags will give your site a big SEO advantage!
Disadvantages of a “Tags Input” Text-box Field
When you have a free text input available that generates tags in your website, chances are that they are going to go out of hand one day. There is no limit to how many tags can a poster add, also they generally put long phrases, or do not use commas at all to separate tags, and nowadays people even put hashtags(!), other common occurrences are misspellings, wrong suffixing (for example teacher/teaching) and synonyms (two words that mean the same thing). The result: within a short frame of time you could have hundreds of tags that will be used in at the most one ad, and even that number will become zero once the ad expires! Here are some of the realistic examples of tags people usually input:
- tution in daytime, tutor required immediately (using long phrases few else will use, tution and daytime could have been separate tags)
- teacher bangkok (same as above, but apparently they were meant to be separate tags, but the comma (,) was forgotten)
- teacher and teaching as two different tags
- #tutor #math (hashtags, thanks to Twitter, and no comma again)
What is the solution?
The solution to this problem is simple. Remove the “Tags input” field from your form layouts, and use ACF :: Smart Tags instead to convert the multiple choice fields (i.e. drop-down, checkbox, radio) into ad tags. For example, if you have a tutor classifieds website, in which you have a drop-down or a radio field called “Preferred Time” with options “Morning” and “Evening”, you can convert it to ad tag using the plugin, and all the new ads will either be tagged “Morning” or “Evening”. Now the students looking for morning tuitions can click on the tag called “Morning” and see all the tutors available in the morning. In the same way, if there is a checkbox field with all the subjects as options, an ad can be tagged in multiple subjects when the tutor posts his ad and the result is each subject has its own tag page listing only the tutors that teach that particular subject. Simple, isn’t it?
Advantages of Using ACF :: Smart Tags
- SEO friendly – each ad tag page will have relevant listings, hence you can proudly display your ad tags in widgets, menus, etc!
- Limited number of tags – The maximum number of tags is the sum total of all the value in the fields you convert to tags
- No misspellings, hashtags or unnecessary mistakes – Since all the tags come from options that you have created, no need to remove spammy tags every few days
- Perfect auto-suggest in ClassiPress search – Since ClassiPress only suggests search terms based on existing ad tags, your site looks professional and does not show junk
Current version: 1.0.0
Initial release version (at the time of ClassiPress 3.4)